With Mini Comp less than a day away, I thought it would be appropriate to put together a checklist for you! No, we’re not just talking about packing your bobby pins! This checklist will help you not only pack your bag with all the right Mini Comp essentials but, it will also prepare you mentally so you can be your very best out there on the dance floor!
YOUR MINI COMP CHECKLIST
- Pack your bag the night before. I compiled a list of everything you would need to look and feel Mini Comp ready. I recommend packing your bag the night before so you can get an hour of extra sleep or prep time to look fabulous in the morning! Here are your Mini Comp must haves!
- Costumes (if you are a non-newcomer)
- Accessories for your costumes
- Extra shirts/bow ties/ties (for the gentleman)
- A cover up for when you’re not dancing to stay warm
- Flip Flops, flats or slippers to give your feet some TLC
- Dance shoes
- A back up pair of dance shoes
- Shoe brush
- Extra plastic heel protectors
- Mini Sewing Kit
- Make up (don’t forget the eyelashes!!!)
- Make up wipes
- Hair spray, hair gel, hair glue, hair glitter, hair brush (basically all things hair)
- Bobby pins
- Safety pins
- Under garments
- A towel
- Breath mints
- Toothbrush and Toothpaste
- Your dance notebook
- Run through your routines ONCE. You have done these routines over a hundred times! In my personal experience with competing, reviewing my routines more than once or twice the day before would always psych me out. Why? Well for starters, you are already extra focused and nervous so with that, you may start nit-picking every step or arm placement. Another reason is you don’t want to be on “auto pilot” with your routines. You want them to look fresh, natural and sharp rather than just going through the motions. Run your steps and sequences once and let it go!!!
- Water and Sleep. Make sure you drink plenty of water, get at least 8 hours of sleep and eat a nutritious breakfast the morning of Mini Comp. I cannot stress this enough! Many of you first time Mini Comp goers will probably have a hard time falling asleep the night before because you will have a million little anxious feelings going on. I get it, but try counting sheep, taking Melatonin with some tea or my go to, a glass of wine! Eating a light breakfast like a piece of fruit, some almonds, toast with peanut butter and a big glass of water will help you kick off the morning of dancing with a bang!
- Do not stress. I repeat, DO NOT STRESS! Mini Comp is meant to be a fun learning experience! We are not doing this to be world champion dancers (if you are, more power to ya!). We have these Arthur Murray events so you can grow and hopefully reach your dance goals or just your life goals. Just because you are being judged, does not mean that you shouldn’t have fun and take in all that you can learn. Let’s be honest, you paid a good amount of money to be here so enjoy it and make the day all about you and your Arthur Murray team! Lastly, don’t forget to SMILE…the judges love that!
So there’s your Mini Comp Checklist! Hopefully you don’t even need this list and you are already an Arthur Murray Mini Comp pro! Go you! If you are a first time Mini Comp goer, I hope this list puts you at ease and gets you pumped up for tomorrow! Good luck and we will see you on the dance floor!